Image 1 by 1
Sigtuna Town Hall
Sigtuna Rådhus, built in the 18th century, is the smallest town hall in Sweden – maybe even in Europe!
When the mayor Eric Kihlman began his service in Sigtuna 1737, he found the town hall, in a deplorable state. At the initiative of Kihlman, the construction of the present town hall began on the same site as the old one. The tower was moved from the old building to the new one.
In 1744 the hall was inaugurated and the first general council was held. The town hall has two rooms. The left one was until the thirties the guardroom of the police and had two cells. The use of these cells was prohibited for hygienic reasons at the end of the thirties. The room to the right is the council hall. Most of the furniture and other objects were brought there by mayor Kihlman around the years 1740 and 1750.
Today Sigtuna Town Hall is part of the Sigtuna Museum. It is also popular for weddings.
For further information: www.sigtunamuseum.se
The Town Hall is open Mondays in January 12-16.
Open daily June 1 to August 31 2017, 12-16 o’clock and for pre-booked tours.